Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday.....In fact ....a soggy Sunday.....


Well, this was the view over most of the area on Sunday.Rain sodden...Two car boots abandoned(gnashing of teeth) and a pile of reports waiting to be tackled....What to do?
I know.A trip to Whitby is just what's needed ......

And a comforting browse in the best bookshop ever.Where I discovered this treasure and had another epiphany....



I am not normally bowled over by quilts that are so bright.Many patchwork and quilting magazines contain too many bright and shiny quilts which look too mass produced for my taste but I love the fabrics in this book, which positively shout and sing at you.(Donna also gets a mention in this book too.Me thinks Donna is a VIP!)This book is so utterly fab I want to shout from the roof  tops, so next best thing...... share it with my lovely blogger friends.You may already have it and if you have why haven't you told me all about it?


I love , love this.....


...and this....


This is purehe aven on aq bed......
I love the brazen colours in this quilt ......
I also find the mood boards that are sprinkled throughout the book very satisfying ......
I want this on my desk...................
If you have't already bought this ,it is a definite wish list addition,but I'm afraid it just got the better of me and it had to come home with me....sigh..Anyway,I wa telling you about my other epiphany.In the beginning of the book,Jane talks about her yearnings to make a quilt herself after years of collecting quilts and fabric and admiring other peoples antique and vintage quilts and how she agonised about doing it right or getting it wrong and possibly missing the point of  one of the great, folk art skills.Her friend upon witnessing Jane's procrastination said ~"For heaven's sake Jane," its just sewing and ding,dong lightbulb moment.That is exactly what  I do. I put things off because I am not too confident about the end result so I never start or finish anything.However thanks to Jane,I will get to grips with my unfinished symphonies and show you the results.So once again watch this space,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

Finally, the perfect end to a perfect weekendand no reports completed/The urge to bake was too great.........
Anne x

3 comments:

The fabric of my life said...

That looks like a fabulous book, I love Jane's style, and I had no idea that I was mentioned in it!!! I feel a book purchase coming on ;-)

Thanks for the heads up x

VINTAGE HEART said...

Hello there, The weather was dreadful in this part of yorkshire as well ,Did you get the great patchwork in the whitby book shop, thaey havr great discount book up stairs, i usualy manage to find a little treasure! When I lived in London 25 years ago ,i hand stitched a double quilt, i used to go to Liberties and Laura Ashleys every couple of weeks to buy a qauter of yards of lovely print fabric, I still have the quilt ,it took me months to complete!! so go for it Anne, it will become a hierloom when finished!! love,Linda x

Diane said...

Ive just found you and I love your blog! I too am a Yorkshire lady - and spookily I have just bought a jelly roll to have a go at quilting!!! xxxx